Monday, March 28, 2011

Tomayto…Tomahto


Dream Board, Treasure Map, Vision Board, Goal Board, Creativity Collage, Prayer Boards, Vision Map, Goal Map, or Visual Explorer are all different names for the same way to visually define, clarify and focus our goals, desires, and dreams for the future. A vision board is a collage of images that represent what you want in your life. Much like the picture of the smiling 120lb yoga instructor that we all hope to be that is duct taped to our refrigerators as a constant reminder of our goal weight and ability…no? Just me? Oh well, anyway. Much like that, a vision board can serve as a reminder of our goals and our heart desires, without the guilt. These boards are usually arranged in a way that evokes positivity, creativity, passion, excitement, clarity and hope that spur on our minds to continue toward that desire and continually be open to opportunities that align us with our goals. The idea behind this exercise is to tap into the law of attraction on a visual level. The law of attraction states that we attract into our lives anything that we give attention to, regardless whether it be positive or negative. We’ve all seen this happen, usually with our best friend (or sister) who has the darndest time finding Mr. Right. We’ve all heard her complain time and time again about how she doesn’t want a guy who is car-less, jobless, useless, and lives with mom, yet those are the exact men she attracts and accepts into her life. Her mind and thoughts are focusing on CAR-LESS. JOBLESS, USELESS, & LIVES WITH MOM. Instead, if her mantra was I am ready to find a man who has his own car, a great and well situated career, has meaning and purpose in his life, and owns his own home, the chances of her settling for anything opposing that continual thought are much less likely. When we have put our mind and energy into creating something that intimately means something to us and we can have it before our very eyes as a reminder (should we choose), it can act as an energizing reminder of our end goals which will help us to take small steps to achieve those goals. If I truly desired to be a 120lb yoga instructor, I would be willing to give up chocolate and maybe even attend the free yoga classes my friend has gifted me. Although, the picture confronts me and some part of me desires some part of it, chocolate is a very important part of my existence, but maybe my true desire is to be healthy and fit and taking some free yoga classes wouldn’t kill me in obtaining that goal.



Every time I look at one of my vision boards I am reminded of the excitement and hope I had during it’s creation and I see potential, progress and completed results, even if I have forgotten about why I chose a particular picture or even THAT I had chosen a particular picture. Why have I decided to blog about vision boards? Well, the first Full Moon of Spring is on it’s way (April 18th) and as a way to celebrate all that potential, we are hosting a Vision Board Workshop. See our website for details. I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment